On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:12:24 -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Kernel level:
>
> (1) Use the new *configfs* for all user-specific attributes
> (2) Use *sysfs* read-only kobjects for device-specific attributes like
> values which can be saved for suspend() and collected for resume().
> IEEE 802.11 capabilities, features (for example radiotap), and what is
> currently settable/gettable from private ioctl realm along with its
> restrictions can also be exported via sysfs.
> (3) On resume() talk to userspace via netlink to read our sysfs and configfs
> us

We need a new hostapd<->stack communication protocol. It definitely
cannot be configfs as we need asynchronous events; netlink seems to be
the best solution for this. Why should be a part of 802.11
userspace<->kernel communication done by netlink and part by
configfs/sysfs?

Second, all new network stuff is configured via netlink (or by ioctls,
but that doesn't count). Why should be 802.11 different?

I'd rather choose the way of extending current WE-netlink.

Thanks,

 Jiri

--
Jiri Benc