On 01/11/2017 03:29 PM, Joao Pinto wrote:

Alex,

Às 2:25 PM de 1/11/2017, Alexandre Torgue escreveu:
Jao,

On 01/11/2017 12:54 PM, Joao Pinto wrote:

Hi Alex,

Às 11:39 AM de 1/11/2017, Alexandre Torgue escreveu:
Hi Jao,

On 01/10/2017 03:52 PM, Joao Pinto wrote:
This patch set removes the synopsys/dwc_eth_qos since it was merged recently
to stmmac (dwmac-dwc-qos-eth glue driver).

It also renames stmicro/stmmac to synopsys/ since it is a standard ethernet
software package regarding synopsys ethernet controllers, supporting the
majority of Synopsys Ethernet IPs.

I understand the reason to rename stmmac driver. The only risk I see is that
usual user will be a little bit lost to find code. It seems there no risk of
backward compatibility with current/old DT (I assume you already checked this
point).

I understand your concern, but for the Synopsys IPs users will be clearer what
drivers to use and what current stmmac has to offer.

I agree.

In terms of tests, I tested it and worked out of the box because the same
Kconfig IDs were used assuring the retro-compatibility that David suggested a
few weeks ago. For DT users no problems are expected as well.

Ok, sounds good.

I see that you rename also Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/stmmac.txt. You
have also to change some words inside as it talks about Stmicroelectronics.

You are right. Going to change that and send a v3. Counting on your ack :)

I continue to review ;)
There is another point to talk. It will be strange to have the driver named "synopsys" but all file inside will continue to be called "stmmac" (and also function inside files). So either you plan to keep it as it is (and it is a little bit confusing) or you plan to change all file name + function name (+ few variable name) ?

regards
Alex

Thanks!

Regards
Alex

Thanks,
Joao

Let's see what David think about that but if there no risk of backward
compatibility with DT, I agree with the series.

Regards
Alex

In the future we should make an effort to migrate to this new synopsys/
driver package all the Ethernet Synopsys IP drivers scattered in net/ethernet.

Joao Pinto (2):
  synopsys: remove dwc_eth_qos driver
  stmmac: rename it to synopsys

 .../bindings/net/{stmmac.txt => synopsys.txt}      |    0
 MAINTAINERS                                        |   11 +-
 arch/arm/configs/multi_v7_defconfig                |    3 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/Kconfig                       |    3 +-