On 01/17/2017 11:13 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Rick Jones <rick.jon...@hpe.com> wrote:
Drifting a bit, and it doesn't change the value of dealing with it, but out
of curiosity, when you say mostly in CLOSE_WAIT, why aren't the server-side
applications reacting to the read return of zero triggered by the arrival of
the FIN?

Even if the application reacts, and calls close(fd), kernel will still
try to push the data that was queued into socket write queue prior to
receiving the FIN.

By allowing this RST, we can flush the whole data and react much
faster, avoiding locking memory in the kernel for very long time.

Understood.  I was just wondering if there is also an application bug here.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones