On 15/02/17 13:46, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 11:07 +0000, Anoob Soman wrote:
On 13/02/17 14:50, Anoob Soman wrote:
On 13/02/17 14:26, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 13:28 +0000, Anoob Soman wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to call synchronize_net(), before calling
fanout_release_data() and kfree(f).
The behavior, wrt synchronize_net, would be same as before and
fanout_release() will cleanup everything without leaving any residue.
So we would require two synchronize_net() calls instead of one ?

synchronize_net() is very expensive on some hosts, it is a big hammer.

Yes, one before fanout_release_data() (will be called only if
fanout->sk_ref == 0) and one after fanout_release().

I understand synchronize_net() is expensive, but adding another
synchronize_net(),  before fanout_release_data(), will be no different
from what we have in the existing code.

I can also make sure second synchronize_net() doesn't get called
again, if fanout_release() calls synchronize_net(), by making
fanout_release() return something to indicate it has done
synchronize_net().
Hi Eric,

Did you get a chance to looks at my comments ?
You misunderstood my suggestion.

I simply suggested to move the code, not adding another
synchronize_net()

I will move the code and send a v2.