On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Tariq Toukan <tar...@mellanox.com> wrote:

> Isn't it the same principle in page_frag_alloc() ?
> It is called form __netdev_alloc_skb()/__napi_alloc_skb().
>
> Why is it ok to have order-3 pages (PAGE_FRAG_CACHE_MAX_ORDER) there?

This is not ok.

This is a very well known problem, we already mentioned that here in the past,
but at least core networking stack uses  order-0 pages on PowerPC.

mlx4 driver suffers from this problem 100% more than other drivers ;)

One problem at a time Tariq. Right now, only mlx4 has this big problem
compared to other NIC.

Then, if we _still_ hit major issues, we might also need to force
napi_get_frags()
to allocate skb->head using kmalloc() instead of a page frag.

That is a very simple fix.

Remember that we have skb->truesize that is an approximation, it will
never be completely accurate,
but we need to make it better.

mlx4 driver pretends to have a frag truesize of 1536 bytes, but this
is obviously wrong when host is under memory pressure
(2 frags per page -> truesize should be 2048)

> By using netdev/napi_alloc_skb, you'll get that the SKB's linear data is a
> frag of a huge page,
> and it is not going to be freed before the other non-linear frags.
> Cannot this cause the same threats (memory pinning and so...)?
>
> Currently, mlx4 doesn't use this generic API, while most other drivers do.
>
> Similar claims are true for TX:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/5640f7685831e088fe6c2e1f863a6805962f8e81

We do not have such problem on TX. GFP_KERNEL allocations do not have
the same issues.

Tasks are usually not malicious in our DC, and most serious
applications use memcg or such memory control.