On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 17:08 -0800, Alexander Duyck wrote:

> Right but you were talking about using both halves one after the
> other.  If that occurs you have nothing left that you can reuse.  That
> was what I was getting at.  If you use up both halves you end up
> having to unmap the page.

You must have misunderstood me.

Once we use both halves of a page, we _keep_ the page, we do not unmap
it.

We save the page pointer in a ring buffer of pages.
Call it the 'quarantine'

When we _need_ to replenish the RX desc, we take a look at the oldest
entry in the quarantine ring.

If page count is 1 (or pagecnt_bias if needed) -> we immediately reuse
this saved page.

If not, _then_ we unmap and release the page.

Note that we would have received 4096 frames before looking at the page
count, so there is high chance both halves were consumed.

To recap on x86 :

2048 active pages would be visible by the device, because 4096 RX desc
would contain dma addresses pointing to the 4096 halves.

And 2048 pages would be in the reserve.

> The whole idea behind using only half the page per descriptor is to
> allow us to loop through the ring before we end up reusing it again.
> That buys us enough time that usually the stack has consumed the frame
> before we need it again.

The same will happen really.

Best maybe is for me to send the patch ;)