Dan Williams wrote:

Jean, what's the official word on range->max_qual.level?

I don't know where I came up with the requirement that max_qual.level
must be 0 to indicate that the units are in dBm (as opposed to RSSI),
but it might well have been because we had no way to detect RSSI vs. dBm
before IW_QUAL_DBM was added as a flag in WE-19, and therefore using
level = 0 was the only reliable way because 0 is the theoretical "max"
level that most cards can handle.

So if you want to express your quality in dBm, you have a choice; either
set IW_QUAL_DBM explicitly and do what you want with max_qual.level, or
set your max_qual.level to 0.  That's my interpretation, of course I
could be wrong.

Furthermore, there's no point to setting your max_qual.level to be the
lowest level, since that's what your max_qual.noise is!!!
max_qual.noise is the noise floor of your card and that effectively _is_
the lowest level at which your card can operate.

In the ideal world, which we are now much closer to, we could _require_
that IW_QUAL_DBM was set, otherwise values would be interpreted as RSSI.
And we can if the driver's we_source_version is >= 19.  I agree, it's
all quite confusing for starters.

Setting IW_QUAL_DBM when updating does make /proc/net/wireless report level and noise as negative numbers. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I also tried both 0 and -100 as the qual_max values. The range is definitely better with -100 than with 0.

Larry