> >> such as?
> >>
> >> donnwantobethedebugfspolice, but still, in the 2-3 times we tried to
> >> push debugfs to MLNX NIC drivers, Dave disallowed that, and lately
> >> the switch team even went further and deleted that portion of the
> >> mlxsw driver -- all to all,  I don't see much point for these type of
> >> changes,
> thoughts?
> >
> >Don't want to hikjack your thread, but continuing this topic - Is there
> >some flat-out disapproval for debugfs in net-next now?
>
> It was mentioned by DaveM on the list multiple times.

> >We're currently internally engaged with adding qed support for register
> >dumps [~equivalents for `ethtool -d' outputs] through debugfs, on
> >behalf of storage drivers [qedi/qedf] lacking the API for doing that.
>
> That sounds wrong. Either introduce a generic infra to expose the info you
> need or you don't do that.

I agree this surely isn't *our* convention, but for scsi  using debugfs
[or sysfs] is a common practice for debug purposes.

Also, our HW debug capabilities are highly-customable, and I want to
have the ability to configure those on the fly [E.g., dynamically
configuring various HW events to be recorded].
Each such configuration involves multiple register writes and reads
according to user provided inputs.
I don't really see how to generalize the information collection in a way
that would benefit anyone else.

> For your inhouse debugging, you should have oot
> patch to expose whatever you need.

I don't want in-house debugging capabilities -
I want field debug capabilities.