On 17-04-28 03:02 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 03:22:53AM CEST, j...@mojatatu.com wrote:

[..]
Maybe I am misunderstanding:
Recall, this is what it looks like with this patchset:
<nlh><subsytem-header>[TCA_ROOT_XXXX]

TCA_ROOT_XXX is very subsystem specific. classifiers, qdiscs and many
subsystems defined their own semantics for that TLV level. This specific
"dump max" is very very specific to actions. They were crippled by the
fact you could only send 32 at a time - this allows more to be sent.

I thought initially you meant:
<nlh>[NLA_XXX]<subsytem-header>[TCA_ROOT_XXXX]

I think at the NLA_XXX you could fit netlink wide TLVs - but if i said
"do a large dump" it is of no use to any other subsystem.

Okay, I'm sorry, I had couple of beers yesterday so that might be
the cause why your msg makes me totally confused :O

All I suggest is to replace NLA_U32 flags you want that does not
have any semantics with NLA_FLAGS flags, which eventually will carry
the exact same u32, but with predefined semantics, helpers, everything.

I didnt understand fully Jiri. Are you suggesting a new type called
NLA_FLAGS which is re-usable elsewhere?

cheers,
jamal