On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 23:24 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> I have gotten most things working to produce wireless statistics through
> /proc/net/wireless for
> bcm43xx-d80211; however, I have one problem that I have not yet been able to
> solve. When I do a 'cat
> /proc/net/wireless', the following is printed:
>
> Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed |
> WE
>   face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon
> | 20
> wmaster0: 0000  100.    0.    0.       0      0      0      0      0        0
>   wlan1: 0000  100.  -26.  -67.       0      0      0      0      0        0
>
> Based on the numbers obtained using bcm43xx-softmac for my interface, the
> numbers for level and
> noise for wlan1 are what I expected (in dBm). The link value has not yet been
> finished. The main
> problem is that the wireless kicker applet for KDE, which I use for a
> display, is only looking at
> the first line, and never sees the wlan1 data - only the wmaster0 results.
>
> Is there some way to detect that the master interface is being interrogated,
> and return data for the
> attached STA instead?

I'm not entirely sure how you configure d80211-based drivers [1], but I
think this is Kicker's problem?  Doesn't it know which device you are
actually connecting with, i.e. wlan1?  Kicker should know this, but we
may need to update userland applications like Kicker and NetworkManager
for the new device model that d80211 presents.  wlanmaster0 shouldn't
have any quality, because it's not connected to anything, and nothing
connects to it.  It's not exposed over the air in any way, AFAIUI.

Let's fix this the right way, in userspace apps, not working around this
stuff in the drivers.

Dan

[1] i.e., can you have more than one STA attached to a master?  I
thought so, but could be wrong.