Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:

Backlog is actually not a protection, but a thing equivalent to netchannel.
The difference is only that it tries to process something immediately,
when it is safe. You can omit this and push everything to backlog(=netchannel),
which is processed only by syscalls, if you do not care about latency.

If we consider netchannels as how Van Jackobson discribed them, then
mutext is not needed, since it is impossible to have several readers or
writers. But in socket case even if there is only one userspace
consumer, that lock must be held to protect against bh (or introduce
several queues and complicate a lot their's management (ucopy for
example)).

Out of curiosity, is it possible to have the single producer logic
if you have two+ ethernet interfaces handling frames for a single
TCP connection?  (I am assuming some sort of multi-path routing
logic...)

Thanks,
Ben

--