On Thursday 20 July 2006 16:31, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Piet Delaney wrote:
> > I wonder if Microsoft is providing the "big challenge" to porting the
> > same GUI to linux. The world really doesn't need yet another Java
> > language. Gosling is a Genius, I studied his X11 News Server enough
> > to know first hand. Microsoft lost in court with their violating the
> > Java standards and C sharp seems to be just another stratagy to their
> > bizarre attempt to world domination (Like the SCO mess).
>
> Runtime dynamic bytecode languages -- Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, ... --
> do seem to be all the rage.
>
> As DaveM noted, though, C# is fully supported under Linux.
>
> Or maybe they could go for Gtk+, which has successfully been used to
> maintain complex GUIs apps on both Windows and Linux.  GIMP is the most
> notable example, but use of Gtk+, GLib, and mingw has meant that you can
> build Linux-ish apps on Windows without nasty porting layers like Cygwin.
>
>       Jeff

Base C# support is pretty good in Mono, but you still have to be quite careful
when creating a cross-platform application with it. Microsoft's version
implements a number of libraries that still are not quite as well implemented
in Mono (if at all). The toolkit libraries (Windows Forms, to the latest
stuff with Vista) are a bit of a moving target. Plus, the .Net platform still
lets developers interact with COM objects and other Windows-only code.

Just because the GUI is C# does not mean that it does not have a number of
Windows-only dependencies, unless it was implemented with portability
in-mind.