HellO!

> I like this.  However, since the cloned skb is either discarded in case
> of error, or queued in which case the caller discards its reference right
> away, wouldn't it be simpler to just do this?

Well, if we wanted just to cheat those checking tools, it is nice.
But if we want clarity, it does not look so sweet.

I _loved_ the tricks with skb refcnt a lot (look into netlink.c :-))
until the day, when pskb_expand_head() and Co appeared. It is so much
more handy and so hates refcnt.

I would seriously review all the uses of refcnt and leave it internal
to skbuff.c and use it externally only in a few places,
where it is obviously safe (MSG_PEEK, mostly)

Alexey