On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 03:01:51PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> From: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoi...@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 11:55:33 -0700
>
> > If in the future mlx will make it into the nic in a way that
> > encryption shares all memory management logic and there is no fpga
> > at all then it indeed will be similar to tc offload. Right now it's
> > not and needs different sw architecture.
>
> If the visible effect is identical, I fundamentally disagree with you.
>
> I don't care if there is a frog sitting on the PHY that transforms
> the packets, it's all the same if the visible behavior is identical.

that frog is a good example why we disagree.
I need to check the pulse of that frog and last time it ate.
In production I cannot have magical creatures do stuff for me.
I need to monitor all components, debug and mitigate the issues.
If encryption is done by the nic, I get all the monitoring and
debugging as part of the standard tools. When it's a frog
hidden by the nic, I cannot do much when the fire erupts,
hence frog and production environment don't mix.
To move things forward...
how about marking the whole thing CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL instead of revert?
Right now it's effectively non-production==experimental code and
I want to make it clear.