On 06/15/2017 06:00 AM, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:
> On 15/06/17 14:44, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:

>>> Right, currently me neither, unless it provides a bind callback when
>>> registering
>>> the kernel socket.

>>> I haven't gotten around to make (or even try) them but I was thinking about
>>> 2 options
>>> ending up with a similar result:
>>>
>>> 1) genetlink
>>>  It also has the NONROOT_RECV flag, but it also allows for a callback -
>>> mcast_bind()
>>>  which can be used to filter.
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> 2) Providing a bind callback to the NETLINK_ROUTE socket.
>>>
>> Ah nevermind, these cannot be used for filtering currently, so it seems
>> the netlink interface would need to be extended too if going down this road.
>>
> Sorry for the multiple emails, just to be thorough - again if going down this
> road all of these would obviously require a different group to bind to in
> order
> to be able to filter on it, because users must keep receiving their
> notifications
> for the ipmr one.

Actually, using a bind callback for NETLINK_ROUTE with a new group,
without netlink interface extension, could  work.

I quickly tested something like this:
> static int rtnetlink_bind(struct net *net, int group)
> {
>     switch (group) {
>     case RTNLGRP_IPV4_MROUTE_R:
>     case RTNLGRP_IPV6_MROUTE_R:
>        if (!ns_capable(net->user_ns, CAP_NET_ADMIN))
>            return -EPERM;
>        break;
>     }
>     return 0;
> }

With the addition of one/two groups this does restrict the reports'
potential listeners.
The group names here are just placeholders, I am not especially fixed
on these ones.

It is not perfect as this would introduce groups with specific
requirements in NETLINK_ROUTE, but I think it can be decent.

What do you think about this?

--
Julien Gomes