On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:21:27 +0200
Rainer Baumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We developed an extension to the network emulator netem, that provides
> emulation of long term network properties such as long-range dependence
> and self-similarity of cross-traffic. It is not possible to emulate
> these properties with the  statistical tables for the packet delay
> values used by the original netem.
>
> We read the values for the packet delay, drop, loss and corruption from
> a pre-generated trace file. This trace file is obtained by monitoring
> network traffic and writing all actions to a trace file. During the
> emulation the packets get processed according the values in such a trace
> file. Detailed information are available on our
> Webseitehttp://tcn.hypert.net
>
> A new option (trace) has been added to the netem command. If the trace
> option is used, the values for packet delay etc. are read from a trace
> file, afterwards the packets are processed by the normal netem functions.
> The packet action values are readout from the trace file in user space
> and sent to kernel space via procfs.
>
> The evaluation results show similar behavior for our enhancement and the
> original netem with respect to packet delay precision and packet loss at
> high load (e.g. 80'000 packets per second).
> It is possible to add, change or delete multiple netem qdiscs on-the-fly
> (original netem qdiscs and trace qdiscs mixed).
>
> We are looking forward for any comments, feedback and suggestions!
>
> Thanks,
> Rainer

I like the idea and want to get it incorporated.

Major things that need fixing:
* Don't extend size of tc_netem_qopt instead use a new netlink
  payload.
    + add type to TCA_NETEM_ enum
    + new structure containing the payload
  This allows for binary compatiablity.

* Don't use proc for a interface to netem features. Use netlink.
  Either add a new command (or option) to the iproute2 commands
  to handle flow table, or add a new payload.

Minor stuff:
* the bzero macro in netem is a BSDism, just use memset
* bad indentation and style issues.
* minor whitespace damage in several places in patch