On 06/29/2017 05:41 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Transceivers for CAN are not apart of any model. Traditional CAN didn't
>> have a problem because all transceivers from my understanding supported
>> the maximum speed of 1 Mbps defined by the spec. However, with the
>> introduction of CAN Flexible Datarate mode it seems that for
>> transceivers that supported CAN-FD the maximum supported speeds vary.
>
> So transceivers are dumb devices, nothing to configure, so no need to
> have a driver for them.

Yes and no.

CAN transceivers are usually quite dumb, but most of them have some sort
of "enable" pin. This pin is currently modelled as a regulator. Which
fits nicely, as there dual transceivers with only one enable pin.

However there are more complicated transceivers with two pins, that
implement a state machine, where you can query the chip for various
error conditions and can configure remote wakeup, etc... So in the
future a proper driver might be implemented.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |