Balazs Scheidler writes:
 > I would like to easily match a set of dynamically created interfaces
 > from my packet filter rules. The attached patch forms the basis of my
 > implementation and I would like to know whether something like this is
 > mergeable to mainline.
[snip]
 > The implementation:
 >
 > Each interface can belong to a single "group" at a time, an interface
 > comes up without being a member in any of the groups.

You can get a similar effect by (ab)using the iflink field i.e. set
the iflink to the parent interface and modify
ip_tables.c:ip_packet_match to check the ifindex (or iflink if
defined) for a match.  An advantage of this is that it doesn't require
adding any new fields and the only kernel change is to
ip_tables.c:ip_packet_match (and its caller).  That said, an explicit
group (or zone as various firewall vendors call it) is cleaner.