Jouni Malinen wrote:
How about we just add a new interface mode called MGT_MONITOR and
wpa_supplicant simply creates a new device via the regular sysfs mechanism,
and then sets that MGT_MONITOR mode via the relevant WEXT ioctl? iwconfig
doesn't even need to be taught about this mode except for display
purposes...

Isn't this already done? I don't remember what happened with client mode
case, but at least hostapd is requesting the management interface
dynamically at startup time.

Yes, it's requesting it, but via a private wext call. I'd like to see it generic, and allow multiple mgmt interfaces as well if the user/hw so wishes. IOW I'd like to remove the iwpriv call and instead use the equivalent of "echo -n wmgmt0 > /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/add_iface ; iwconfig wmgmt0 mode management"

Same here.. hostapd gets the ifindex from kernel and doesn't care about
the name.
Good point, I overlooked that.

johannes