jamal wrote:
> CCing Hasso Tepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Hasso, please comment on this thread (apologies, I forgot the other
> guy's name; so if you can CC all the necessary suspects to comment, it
> would help).

I fully agree with Herbert Xu:

> The pid field in the netlink header should be treated as an opaque
> value.  Any attempt to interpret it as the process ID is doomed to
> failure.

Zebra, Quagga and Xorp treat the pid field in the netlink header as
unicast address of the netlink socket. As far as I know, that was the
original idea:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113943269432327&w=2

So, for Zebra, Quagga and Xorp users removals of current->pid mean just
closing potential races. You can't quarantee that ip/route/ifconfig will
not have the pid equal to the address of the netlink socket
Zebra/Quagga/Xorp owns.

regards,

--
Hasso