On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Jiri Pirko <j...@resnulli.us> wrote:
> Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:32:21PM CEST, yuv...@mellanox.com wrote:
>>> Adding DEVLINK_PERM_CONFIG_MSIX_VECTORS_PER_VF permanent
>>> config
>>> parameter.  Defines number of MSI-X vectors allocated per VF.
>>> Value is permanent (stored in NVRAM), so becomes the new default
>>> value for this device.
>>
>>Sounds like you're having this enforce the same configuration for all child
>>VFs.
>
> Yeah, this sounds like per-port config.

Well, it gets a little tricky here.  I assume some cards handle this
per-port.  Other cards might handle this per PF, where PF may not
always correspond 1:1 with a port.  And some cards maybe just allow a
single value for this parameter for the entire card, covering all
ports/PFs.

To keep things simple and as general as possible, it made sense to set
all parameters on a per-PCI device level.  As I mentioned in my
cover-letter, the devices most likely to use these proposed commands
do not have a single "whole asic" PCI b/d/f with internal mechanism
for accessing ports - most expose each port (and each function on each
port) as a separate PCI b/d/f, with no separate "whole asic" PCI
b/d/f.  That's how the BCM cards work, and I think that's how the MLNX
cards work, and others that would be likely to use these cmds.

So, to summarize, you direct the command to the PCI b/d/f you want to
target.  Does this make sense?