> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 06:41:24PM -0800, tristram...@microchip.com
> wrote:
> > From: Tristram Ha <tristram...@microchip.com>
> >
> > This series of patches is to modify the original KSZ9477 DSA driver so
> > that other KSZ switch drivers can be added and use the common code.
>
> Hi Tristram
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/net-next.html
>
> It is better to send an RFC patchset while netdev is closed and not
> send it to David. He will shout at you otherwise.

Noted.

I really need to monitor the DSA discussion to better contribute to its success.
I just found out the DSA API set_addr was removed last month due to not
everybody is using it.  It cited the Marvell switch was the only switch using
that
API and found a new way to program the MAC address.  But looking at that
driver I found it simply uses a randomized MAC address.

For big switch with many ports where the main function is forwarding that MAC
address may not matter.  For small switch with 2 ports it acts more like an
Ethernet
controller where the switch is mainly used for daisy chaining in a ring network
the MAC
address can be used in feature like source address filtering.