On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 04:47:40PM +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:49:45 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > The sysfs attributes add_iface and remove_iface both check for
> > CAP_NET_ADMIN whenever something is written. Hence, permissions for the
> > files should be relaxed so that someone who is not root but happens to
> > have CAP_NET_ADMIN can do things.
>
> I'm not sure about this. Greg, what's the policy here?

I don't know, it's not a normal sysfs thing to rely on capability
checks, almost everything that I know of uses the permission bits on the
files.  But I don't have a problem with making the permissions on the
file open, yet restricting things to CAP_NET_ADMIN, if that preserves
the proper functionality.

thanks,

greg k-h