On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 07:51:02AM +0000, Ilya Lesokhin wrote:
> On Monday, December 18, 2017 9:18 PM, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
>
> > > +
> > > + if (sk && sk_fullsock(sk) && sk->sk_offload_check)
> >
> > Isn't this going to hurt the fast path, checking for sk fields here?
> >

> We do add code to the fast path but it seems unavoidable if you want to have
> SW fallback.
> The XFRM device offload also does that
> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.14.7/source/net/core/dev.c#L3058

Right, although a bit different. It's accessing skb->sp and not the
socket and depending on how compiler is doing things, the check
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.14.7/source/net/xfrm/xfrm_device.c#L32
will help in some cases.

But more importantly, all the above only exists if CONFIG_XFRM_OFFLOAD
is enabled.

> The check can be optimized but I didn't want to do that before I saw that
> it's an issue.
> I'm also not sure what the correct solution is.
> I don't like that fact that each "stateful protocol" we offload requires its
> own check.
> We need to think if we can find a generic way of doing it.
>
> Perhaps we can hold the expected netdev somewhere in the SKB and only if we
> don't
> Go out of the expected netdev go to a slow path that does a check for each
> protocol.

This could be a good switch, yes.

Thanks,
Marcelo