On 12/31/17 4:33 AM, Sowmini Varadhan wrote:
On (12/30/17 21:09), santosh.shilim...@oracle.com wrote:
Right. This was loop transport in action so xmit will just flip
the direction with receive. And rds_recv_incoming() can race with
socket_release. rds_find_bound() is suppose to add ref count on
socket for rds_recv_incoming() but by that time socket is DEAD &
freed by socket release callback.

correct, that makes sense.

Yea. In fact the earlier point of sk being null and rs not is
also possible because socket release explicitly marks its
NULL ("sock->sk = NULL"). But it just side effect of the actual
race.

And rds_release is suppose to be synced with rs_recv_lock. But
release callback is marking the sk orphan before syncing
up with receive path and updating the bind table. Probably it
can pushed down further after the socket clean up buut need
to think bit more.

However, I'm not sure this seals the race..  according to the
bug report rds_recv_incoming->rds_find_bound is being called
in rds_send_worker context and the rds_find_bound code is

      63         rs = rhashtable_lookup_fast(&bind_hash_table, &key, ht_parms);
      64         if (rs && !sock_flag(rds_rs_to_sk(rs), SOCK_DEAD))
      65                 rds_sock_addref(rs);
      66         else
      67                 rs = NULL;
      68

Since the entire logic of rds_release can interleave between line 63
and 64, (whereas we only addref at line 65), moving the sock_orphan
will not help.

I see that there was an explicic synchornization via the bucket->lock
before 7b5654349e. I think you need something like that, or some type
or rcu-based hash list.

The rhashtable already has internal bucket lock so those operation like
add/remove are synced up.  But yes reference addition can still race
with receive since receive lock is taken after find bound.

Patch below may make race-window smaller, but race window is still there.
If the receive lock is taken ahead then with sock_orphan
change socket release will get synchronized with receive. But
preventing socket release to be getting triggered while in receive
path by means ref count is better option. Moving socket_orphan
down is anyway a good change but its not enough. Will think bit
more about it.

Thanks for the good discussion.

Regards,
Santosh