On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 08:10:21PM +0200, Thomas Graf wrote:
> > When the Xen people looked for a way to disable IPv6 autoconf of the
> > bridge, they didn't find any way to do it without bringing up the
> > device first (and thereby triggering DAD).
>
> They didn't find any because there is no need to disable it. I

Well, as a global statement that may merit a separate debate.
In this specific case, maybe.

First off, I do agree that the use of a constant MAC address across the
board is a bad move :)

OTOH, there are good reasons why you want to turn off autoconf on
specific devices; and the current method of first bringing up
the device and then disabling it doesnt quite cut it.

One could also argue that there's a good reason to not assign addresses
to pure bridge devices at all, regardless of their brokenness.
We don't want to assign IPv4 addresses to a pure bridge, and I think it's
a reasonable expectation that there should be a way to tell the IPv6
stack to keep its hands off that device, too.

> got wrong. Setting dev_addr to -1 is just plain wrong, other
> virtual ethernet devices call random_ether_addr(), it's not a
> new problem at all.

Okay, fine with me - maybe we can convince them to use that
instead.

Thanks for the feedback,
Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch   |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax