On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:35:14 +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> The existing field must continue to work in the same way as before. It must
> be accepted and *returned* by the kernel. You may add an additional field
> but the existing behavior must be 100% preserved, both uABI and uAPI wise.

Another way around this is reverting ceaa001a170e in net.git and
designing the uAPI properly in net-next. I think that should be the
preferred way, as ceaa001a170e is clearly wrong since you need to redo
it after 3 months.

Not sure when Linus intends to release 4.15 and how much time you have
for this, though.

 Jiri