On 1/24/18 7:48 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 07:27 -0800, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:

Most of the time, Yes, but it's the other way around this time.
I specifically asked Larry to do it this way, since net tree is
practically closed (only critical fixes allowed).
When 4.15 is released on Sunday we'll send this patch
independently to 4.15 and 4.14

How hard would it be to put the fix first in the series then ?
If this proves complex, then maybe we have a bigger problem.

you mean to put patch 4 to be first in the series ?
I don't think that matters. It applies fine as-is on net tree
and builds without issues. I only need to double check that
nothing else needed before adding it to stable queue.

I did not know merging bpf into bpf-next would be hard :)

yeah :) It's double pain for us too due to backports
into our kernels.
I think the speed of bpf development and attention from
the bigger kernel community increased this cycle a lot.
Hopefully next release things will calm down.