Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 23:37:25 +0200
> Serhey Popovych <serhe.popov...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Both of them accept network device name as argument, but have different
>> meaning:
>>
>>   dev  - is a device by it's name,
>>   name - name for specific device device.
>>
>> The only case where they treated separately is network device rename
>> case where need to specify both ifindex and new name. In rest of the
>> cases we can assume that dev == name.
>
> I would rather keep name as only being a valid argument for set command.
> And reject use of:
>
>    ip li show name eth0

But ip-link(8) man page is full of examples where "name" is used instead
of "dev". I suppose there are lot of configuration we can broke when
explicitly disabling "name" as an alternative to "dev".

Especially on the first lines in man page we have:

ip link add [ link DEVICE ] [ name ] NAME

and there is no reference to "dev".

What do you think?