On 03/12/2018 12:48 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 15:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
David Miller <da...@davemloft.net> wrote:

From: Stephen Hemminger <step...@networkplumber.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 11:45:52 -0700

Since indirect calls are expensive, and now even more so, perhaps we should
figure out
a way to make the default TCP congestion control hooks into direct calls.
99% of the users just use the single CC module compiled into the kernel.

Who is this magic user with only one CC algorithm enabled in their
kernel?  I want to know who this dude is?

I don't think it's going to help much since people will have I think
at least two algorithms compiled into nearly everyone's tree.

Distributions will enable everything.

Google is going to have at least two algorithms enabled.

etc. etc. etc.

Getting rid of indirect calls is a fine goal, but the precondition you
are mentioning to achieve this doesn't seem practical at all.

What I meant is that kernels with N congestion controls, almost all traffic
uses the default So that path can be optimized. The example I gave would
have all the others doing the same indirect call.

I do not understand. What is default_tcp_ops anyway ?

How changes to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control will impact this ?