Hello!

> There isn't any sort of clever short-circuiting in loopback is there?

No, from all that I know.

> do like the convenience of testing things over loopback, but always fret
> about not including drivers and actual hardware interrupts etc.

Well, if the test is right, it should show cost of redundant ACKs.

> Regardless, kudos for running the test.  The only thing missing is the
> -c and -C options to enable the CPU utilization measurements which will
> then give the service demand on a CPU time per transaction basis.  Or
> was this a UP system that was taken to CPU saturation?

It is my notebook. :-) Of course, cpu consumption is 100%.
(Actally, netperf shows 100.10 :-))

I will redo test on a real network. What range of -b should I test?

> What i'm thinking about isn't so much about the latency

I understand.

Actually, I did those tests ages ago for a pure throughput case,
when nothing goes in the opposite direction. I did not find a difference
that time. And nobody even noticed that Linux sends ACKs _each_ small
segment for unidirectional connections for all those years. :-)

Alexey