On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:42:35PM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:55:14PM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
>
> > > Jean, are there any other possibilities?
> >
> >     Yes, dropping SIOCSIWAP (set) entirely, and keep only
> > SIOCGIWAP (get).
>
> I don't think that this would be acceptable.

        I should have put smileys ;-) You know that's it's not my
style to rock the boat, so SIOCSIWAP won't go away anytime soon.
        And actually, I would be more likely to remove RTS/CTS and
Frag first ;-)

> >     We need to be pragmatic. Very few people need to set a fixed
> > BSSID. I would even venture to say that in the case of most people
> > setting a fixed BSSID, it's an error and they should not do it (it
> > kills roaming, which is a desirable feature). I've yet to find a card
> > which scanning is broken to the point that you need to fudge the
> > BSSID.
>
> Maybe very few _people_ use it directly, but please keep in mind that
> programs like wpa_supplicant may control roaming and do it by using this
> SIOCSIWAP.

        Yep, fully agree. And in the part of the e-mail you left out,
I described this kind of need and a solution for those specific apps
(catching SIOCSIWAP iwevents).
        Actually, I'm surprised that those apps don't make more use of
the SIOCS* events. They are a good way to monitor the user and other
apps doing change to the wireless config, and could be used to adapt
to that.

> In addition, being able to limit AP selection to one specific
> BSSID can be quite useful for number of uses.

        As I said, I've found very few cases where the end-user need
to play with those.

> >     There are some drivers that don't support SIOCSIWAP (set), and
> > it's usually not a problem, users are not complaining about it. That's
> > why I claim we could drop the (set) support. Of course, we can't do it
> > because one PhD student at Berkeley need the feature ;-)
>
> There's more than one PhD student needing this and I would be very much
> against removing it.

        Well, so make it one PhD student and one Linux driver hacker ;-)

> Jouni Malinen

        Have fun...

        Jean