On Tuesday 26 September 2006 18:08, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Michael Buesch wrote:
> > No it isn't. There are lots of other parameters in the ssb SPROM.
> > And most of them are _not_ in bigendian.
> > I think we also read the PHYport or something in b44.
> > See bcm43xx or the ssb module for the rest of the values.
> >
> > Returning a SPROM bytearray as BABABABA is just plain wrong.
> > It must always be ABABABAB, because we expect this. This patch
> > encures ABABAB order on every platform. The interpret function
> > must not know on which platform we are, as it's just interpreting
> > the _byte_ array (byte array, without any endian semantics).
> >
> > This _fixes_ a bug (In the correct way, so that future bugs will
> > not appear)
>

> It's amusing to call something incorrect, when my suggested solution
> will interpret the correct values from b44_get_invariants() simply by
> changing the b44_get_invariants() code from reading BABABABA to ABABABAB.

Jeff, I officially do not care about b44 any longer now.
I am not going to waste my time now.
If you don't want this patch, stay with current buggy code. It's OK
to me.

Maybe the following line of code from get_invariants explains best
why my fix is the correct one:

        bp->phy_addr = eeprom[90] & 0x1f;

If you don't swap to LE in b44_read_eeprom this _won't_ lead
to the expected result of getting byte 90 of the SPROM (on BE archs).

Wanna have code like this?

#ifdef BIG_ENDIAN
        bp->phy_addr = eeprom[91] & 0x1f;
#else
        bp->phy_addr = eeprom[90] & 0x1f;
#endif

Or maybe

        bp->phy_addr = ((u16 *)eeprom)[90/2] & 0x1f;

I don't really think so.

--
Greetings Michael.