Michael Buesch wrote:
On Thursday 28 September 2006 19:04, Larry Finger wrote:
Jason Lunz wrote:
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:52:24AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
I had very good luck with my first AP, a Linksys WRT54G V1, that I
bought a second when the power supply failed in the first. Little did
I know that a VxWorks license costs less than the extra memory needed
to run Linux. Or was it to defeat the open-source alternatives for the
AP?
last I checked, linksys (cisco?) still sells the linux-compatible
version as the WRT54GL. <- note the extra 'L'.
I know, but have decided to stay with V5 (and bitch a lot) as others are likely to suffer from the same problems as I do. As many of them would never try alternate firmware, we need to provide the workarounds. If I'm using one of the brain-dead APs, I get the symptoms first hand and can tell when they are fixed.

Well. You say that it works with your AP and without my patch, but
not with the patch. I'd say it works by pure luck. I don't think
my patch changes any semantics. It just properly protects some
parts from racing. Maybe you actually benefit from these races
and softmac magically "races you the correct result" ;)

Or do you notice something that changes semantics?

No, only that the system recovers w/o your patch, and not with it. It could very well race to the correct point. ATM, I have your patch back in and I'm trying to get more diagnostics in the logs. I'll let you know.

Larry