On Thursday 28 September 2006 05:23, Johannes Berg wrote:
>  * why should there be configuration per device? The user can only
>    be operating in one country at a time... I think that information
>    should just be available inside cfg80211 in a global structure
>    for use by drivers whenever they need it (with some accessor
>    methods to ensure locked access).

Making regulatory info global is good. We're not really interested in a laptop
with two wireless adapters sitting on a border.

>  * I seem to have read between the lines that the EEPROM data is
>    pretty much useless. Is that generally true, or should the userspace
>    daemon be told what it contains (somehow)?

Even if the EEPROM data is useful, the driver should probably process it
before giving it to userspace so we don't have to worry about updating eeprom
parsing in userspace.

>  * Should the kernel perform some kind of validation on the regulatory
>    data the daemon gives it as well?

Probably just minimal sanity checks if needed.

-Michael Wu