On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
<marcelo.leit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 01:30:53PM -0700, Cong Wang wrote:
>> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
>> <marcelo.leit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Currently, when the rule is not to be exclusively executed by the
>> > hardware, extack is not passed along and offloading failures don't
>> > get logged. The idea was that hardware failures are okay because the
>> > rule will get executed in software then and this way it doesn't confuse
>> > unware users.
>> >
>> > But this is not helpful in case one needs to understand why a certain
>> > rule failed to get offloaded. Considering it may have been a temporary
>> > failure, like resources exceeded or so, reproducing it later and knowing
>> > that it is triggering the same reason may be challenging.
>>
>> I fail to understand why you need a flag here, IOW, why not just pass
>> extack unconditionally?
>
> Because (as discussed in the RFC[1], should have linked it here) it
> could confuse users that are not aware of offloading and, in other
> cases, it can be just noise (like it would be right now for ebpf,
> which is mostly used in sw-path).
>
> 1.https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg223016.html

My point is that a TC filter flag should be used for a filter attribute,
logging is apparently not a part of filter. At least, put it into HW offloading,
not in TC filter.

I know DaveM hates module parameters, but a module parameter here
is more suitable than a TC filter flag.