On 16.5.2018 15:17, Andrew Lunn wrote:
So as the fixed-link subnode is optional we still should force some sensible
defaults if it is not used. Same as Marvell drives does. Can I say that we
agreed that the current CPU port setting is not correct and the fastest link
speed and duplex supported by the chip should be set as a default?

That is a sensible default.

OK.

As far as people using this driver, John submitted it, but we have not
see many fixes/enhancements, so I am not clear who is actually using it
these days... glad you are though!

Thanks.

To the compatibility of the driver with the QCA8334 that I use. I am not sure
what should be the correct way to deal with that. For example Marvell binding
uses only two compatible strings for a large range of chips in one family.
While Broadcom has one compatible string for each chip.

With the Marvell devices, there is an ID register which tells you the
model. The compatible string tells us the information we need in order
to find that ID register. Once we know the ID, we have all the
information we need, so don't need a more specific compatible string.

As I mentioned earlier
in this thread the QCA8334 switch has four ports while the already supported
QCA8337 has seven ports. That is the only difference. Register address space
is the same.

Can you identify the exact model using some ID register? If yes, than
the existing compatible string is sufficient. If no, you need an
additional compatible string.

Nope. Device ID is the same for the whole family so we need a new compatible.
--
Michal