Hi Andrew,

> I assume you add the 192.168.11.1 and 192.168.12.1 to the interfaces
> using global scope? Global scope means the IP addresses are valid
> everywhere. All routers should know how to route packets to these IP
> addresses. So a host is free to pick any of its global scope IP

Yes their scopes are global,

> It sounds like your router is doing reverse path filtering. It is
> checking its routing table for the source address, and throwing the
> packets away if they don't come in the interface the route points out
> of.

and yes the routers do reverse path filtering.

Now I understood that this is an intended and in fact a legitimate behavior.

So it seems that one thing I can do is to talk with networking people to accept
these packets.  Another option that has come to my mind is to change the
address scope to link-local and assign a global, routable address to a dummy
interface so that Linux chooses the address for the dummyif.

I'm going to evaluate these options.  Thank you!

- ymmt