On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 10:13 PM, Andrew Lunn <and...@lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 09:35:38PM +0300, Ran Shalit wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to understand the concept of cascaded switch.
>> I haven't find much information on this topic.
>>
>> Can anyone please explain the general concept, when is it used, and
>> why does the device tree need to know about cascaded switch ?
>
> Hi Ran
>
> I think you first need to define what you mean by cascaded switches.

Hi,

I mean the same terminology used in marvell's switch.(I don't think
there is more than one terminology for this, please correct me if
wrong).
Anyway, I can see examples how it is done, but I don't understand the
benefit of this constellation, and why device tree needs to be
familiar with it.

<   switch 1  >---port10--------port10- <  switch 2 >
port 1-9     |                                      port 1-9     |

The term "cascaded switches" is also used in dsa documentation in device tree:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/dsa/dsa.txt

Regard,
Ranran