Or Gerlitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Sorry, but I don't follow... by saying "would be ideal to do ***it*** this
>way in all cases" what exactly is the "it" you are referring to?

        It refers to:

        Having this would eliminate the need to specify the hardware
type at load time, and would allow changing of the hardware type at
enslave time, rather than at device up time.  This requires fewer
changes to other things, like the initscripts or ifenslave.

        The ideal would be to allow changing of hardware type at
literally any time, allowing failover across dissimilar hardware types.
That's a lot more complicated, and has a smaller pool of potential uses.

>1st, your current recommendation to solve the link layer address
>computation of multicast groups joined by the stack before any enslavement
>actually takes place, is to instrument the bonding code such that it would
>be possible to enslave devices when the bonding device is not "up" yet.
>
>2nd, the change need to be worked out in the bonding sysfs code, the
>ifenslave program but ***also*** in packages such as /sbin/ifup and
>friends.

        Correct.  The necessary changes to initscript and sysconfig are
probably the most complex piece to organize (not necessarily the hardest
to implement, but rather the most troublesome to deploy, as it
introduces an API change).

>BTW - is the ifenslave program still supported to work with upstream
>(2.6.18 and above) kernel or it was obsoleted at some point.

        Yes, ifenslave is still supported.  It probably will be
obsoleted some day (or replaced with a script that uses sysfs), but not
anytime soon.  As far as I know, all current distros use ifenslave to
configure bonding.

        -J

---
        -Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [EMAIL PROTECTED]