Venkat Yekkirala wrote:

> Actually, I meant to cite the following instead of the above:
>
>  * Nothing
>
>    xfrm_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
>    loc_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
>    nlbl_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
>    ext_sid = xfrm_sid
>    final skb->secmark = avc_ok : ext_sid ? unchanged

Okay, thanks, I think I understand your point now.  Let me try to
restate just to make sure.

Take two cases: the first being no labeling at all, the second being
only NetLabel ...

 * Nothing

   xfrm_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
   loc_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
   nlbl_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
   ext_sid = xfrm_sid
   final skb->secmark = avc_ok : ext_sid ? unchanged

 * NetLabel

  xfrm_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
  loc_sid = SECSID_NULL/0
  nlbl_sid = <SECINITSID_NETMSG te ctx, netlabel mls ctx>
  ext_sid = nlbl_sid
  final skb->secmark = avc_ok : ext_sid ? unchanged

In the "Nothing" case the final skb->secmark is set to SECSID_NULL/0;
getpeercon() should return an error. In the "NetLabel" case the final
skb->secmark is set using the TE portions of SECINITSID_NETMSG and the
MLS label of the NetLabel packet; getpeercon() will succeed.

I understand in the "NetLabel" case above you think the TE portion of
the final skb->secmark value should come from
SECSID_NULL/SECINITSID_UNLABELED/0, but do you also want getpeercon() to
return an error in the "NetLabel" case?  I think that's a bad idea as it
will made it *extremely* difficult for applications to determine the MLS
label of a connection using NetLabel.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp