Jouni Malinen wrote:
This looks somewhat confusing.. WE-20 (and older) included '\0' in both
the data value and length (well, at least in most drivers and user space
tools, if I remember correctly), i.e., essid[iwr->u.data.length] would
be pointing one byte after the '\0' termination.. And since '\0' is
valid character in SSID (it is just an arbitrary array of octets) it can
also be the last octet of the SSID and WE-21 style case could have
essid[iwr->u.data.length - 1] == '\0'..

Remember, the salient point is ensuring that WE<=20 continues to work as expecting, without any modification. If that means a compromise in supported SSID values, so be it. Just like older versions of stat(2) syscall, you are stuck with the old interface, warts included.

But if we can support both styles... great! I'm all for it. Just noting priorities. Warts and limitations are inevitable with older interfaces.

        Jeff