Hi all,

I am wondering what exactly the rx_bytes and tx_bytes values exported
under statistics/ in sysfs are supposed to represent.

Most popular ethernet drivers (8139too, e100, 3c59x) count the bytes in
software, so they only take into account the bytes they actually send and
receive. This excludes the 4-byte ethernet CRC if I understand correctly.

Other drivers, on the other hand, get the transfered bytes statistics from
hardware registers, and these appear to include the 4-byte CRC in the
total count. This is the case of sk98lin and e1000, for example.

So my question is, which drivers are right? Are we counting the emitted
and received bytes at software level or at hardware level? Or do we just
not care about the 4-byte/packet difference and both are acceptable?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3