On 7/4/18 8:29 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Ido Schimmel <ido...@mellanox.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 00:10:41 +0300
>
>> We can have the IPv4/IPv6 code only generate a REPLACE / DELETE
>> notification for routes that are actually used for forwarding and
>> relieve listeners from the need to implement this logic themselves. I
>> think this should work.
>
> Whilst this could reduce the duplication, I worry that in the long
> term that this might end up being error prone.

Duplication of data and duplication of logic is not ideal. Especially in
this case where the duplication of both is only to handle one case -
duplicate routes where only the first is programmed. I suspect it will
have to be dealt with at some point (e.g., scaling to a million routes),
but right now there are more important factors to deal with - like the
rtnl_lock. Something to keep in mind for the future.