wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:38 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > > Well, it is already possible to delay the 'third packet' of an
> > > outgoing connection with a litle hack. But AFAIK not the SYNACK of
> > > incoming connection. It could be cool. Maybe some new syscalls are
> > > needed:
> > >
> > > int syn_recv(int socklisten, ...);
> > > /* give to user app the SYN packet */
> > > int syn_ack(int socklisten, ...);
> > > /* User app has the ability to ask kernel tcp stack to :
> > >     DROP this packet.
> > >     REJECT the attempt
> > >     ACCEPT the attempt (sending a SYN/ACK) */
> >
> > So, when do you mean the user-space application should run this syscalls?
> > After the call to listen()?
> >
> > Another problem with this solution might be, that I don't want to block
> > the listening socket with the processing of one request, because there
> > could be a lot of simultaneous requests.
>
> You should break your decision into per state change transformations.
> I think it is possible with either conntrack or netlink module Samir
> Bellabes <sbellabes_mandriva.com> creates (Network Events Connector
> subject) or even using syncookie algo changes.

Hum.. they are some cases where conntrack is not an option (way too expensive
if your server handle XXX.XXX concurrent tcp streams)

> But it will drastically change your server performance...

Sure, at least its capacity to answer to SYN packets (session establishment
should be slower, unless the thread receiving/handling SYN packets has
realtime scheduling)

Eric