On 10/17/06 14:35, Thomas Graf wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> Because otherwise a rule containing only a source prefix match is
> equivalent to a catch-all rule for all lookups not providing a
> source address. An example: Someone adding the rule
>
>       ip rule add from 2001::1/128 unreachable
>
> results in _all_ lookups not providing a source address to
> resolve to unreachable which means that all source address
> lookups will fail.

one quick but ugly hack would be to handle FR_ACT_TO_TBL rules
differently than the others in fib6_rule_match(). I don't necessarily
recommend this approach, but it could work. What do you say?

> The problem starts that both the routing decision and source address
> selection is both a routing decision sharing the same logic which
> are now conflicting as the behaviour for a "from ANY" requires
> different logic. In order to solve this, rules must be restricted to
> one of these paths, i.e. a rule intending to make certain prefixes
> unreachable may not apply to the source selection logic. This can be
> achieved using the 'reason' field I proposed in my netconf slides, it
> would allow turning the first rule example into
>
>       rule add from 2001::1/128 for INPUT unreachable
>
> which would no longer apply when looking up the source address or
> deciding the outgoing route.

Is there any reason we couldn't implement this?

BTW I will not really able to participate in this discussion until
Thursday, but please continue! Hopefully someone has a working solution
that everyone is ok with by then ;-)

I'm currently cooking something up, but I'm not yet sure what will
become of it. It might not work at all. It will also change quite a lot
of things, so there might be less invasive and cleaner solutions. Let's
just say rt6_lookup(), which appears to cause most of these problems,
will not be the same...

Regards,
Ville