On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 09:11:17 -0600, David Ahern wrote:
> Generically speaking a filter modifies the output based on the input.
> Specifying a target namespace is an input to the dump that modifies the
> output.

That's conventionally called "algorithm" :-)

Let's just say we have a different understanding of what "filter" is.
Perhaps we should look at it from a different side. What is the use
case of having NLM_F_DUMP_FILTERED set for IFA_TARGET_NETNSID? How is
this going to be used by applications?

> Yes, you can do it in userspace which is what iproute2 has done to this
> point, but it is grossly inefficient and that inefficiency has
> implications at scale.

You can't do that with IFA_TARGET_NETNSID. Which is my point. Without
the flag, you don't get a list of all interfaces in all net name spaces.

 Jiri