From: Sowmini Varadhan <sowmini.varad...@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:32:48 -0400

> Without getting into Ahern's patchset, which he obviously feels
> quite passionately about..
>
> On (10/11/18 12:28), David Miller wrote:
>>
>> Once you've composed the message, the whole point of filtering is lost.
>
> it would be nice to apply the filter *before* constructing the skb,
> but afaict most things in BPF today only operate on sk_buffs. How should
> we use *BPF on something other than an sk_buff?

Personally I'm not going to spend cycles on that.

What's important to me in the short term is that David's patch set is
an appropriate way to add filtering, using existing facilities and
mechanisms that already exist for that purpose.

If people want to explore a possible eBPF mechanism for the future,
with an emphasis on "future", feel free to explore to your heart's
content.

But that doesn't exist in any form whatsoever, so that's not what we
should be talking about here.