From: "Ian McDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:59:30 +1300

> I don't agree with this at all. I would love Firefox, BitTorrent etc
> to implement usage of TCP-LP for example so they use "unused"
> bandwidth only.
>
> With this change applications can't do this.
>
> If we are going to restrict by capabilities then I think we should
> only restrict module loading - this way the admin of the box can
> decide what algorithms can be used.

You are using an example of a (supposedly) safe case of this
as a justification for allowing all cases.

It is bad, very bad, to allow arbitrary users to select arbitrary
congestion control algorithms.  It is just as bad as allowing them to
disable congestion control completely if that were an option.

If someone, for example, builds all the algorithms statically into
their kernel, for testing as root, this lets all users on the machine
do the same which is not right.