On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:36 -0500, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
> Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Hi Sridhar:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:31:24PM -0800, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
> >> I think we currently assume atleast the SCTP header and the data
> >> chunk header to be in the skb head.
> >> But we do handle skbs with data in the frag_list.
> >> Not sure about skb's with paged fragments.
> >
> > You can't assume the chunk header to be in the head.  Think about what
> > happens when some malicious person sends you a fragmented SCTP packet.
> >
> >> Does XEN use frag_list or frags array?
> >
> > Xen creates paged frags in domU=>dom0 or domU=>domU traffic.
> > Of course frag_list can always occur as a result of IP fragmentation.
> >
> >> Is there a simple way to simulate incoming packets with transport
> >> headers and data in skb's frag_list/pages without having to use XEN.
> >
> > You can use IP fragments to create them.
> >
> > But the important thing is to work through the code.  Basically wherever
> > you see things like skb_pull/skb->data without a preceding pskb_may_pull
> > call, then you have a problem.
>
> Wouldn't this in the end be equivalent to skb_linearize()?  I am trying to
> think of a way do things without reallocating too much memory.
It will be equivalent only if you pass a skb->data_len as the length to
pskb_may_pull(). However, pskb_may_pull() is generally called with much
smaller lengths equal to a specific header length and it tries to copy
the header from the fragments to skb->tail if there is enough room.

> Yes, SCTP is really broken with regard to fragmented skbs.  In fact, I
> have a test case that will crash the lksctp at will when receiving an IP
> fragmented
> message.

Because we support path mtu, we should not see ip fragmentation in general
although
it is possible if there is a change in path mtu during a transfer. So i guess
you may
be trying your test with path mtu disabled and with very small MTUs(< 500) or
a packet with bundled chunks.

> The reason pskb_may_pull() is not a great solution IMO, is because we
> may end up doing very large orders of allocations if someone decided to use
> 9000 MTU
> on the first hop.  I can see things going bad on loopback with 16K MTU as
> well.
pskb_may_pull() should be used only to pull in the headers, not the
entire message to the skb head. But with small messages that are
bundled, this may get complicated.

Thanks
Sridhar